We were SO inspired by one of our young friends who just turned 30. She created a wonderful list of 30 challenges to complete during her 30th year. We are avidly cheering her on from the sidelines. Go Alana!!! However, it also planted a seed in us to do something similar. I am a veteran list maker at heart. Confession: I sometimes put things on a list that I’ve already done, just so I can check them off.
This gives us a wonderful
excuse opportunity to make a list together. Instead of marching toward our goals individually, we wanted to challenge ourselves as a couple. In September, we celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary, so we are on the road to 40! Rather than waiting, we decided to get started and tackle our own set of challenges, affectionately monikered: 40 Toward 40! Why not strike while the iron is hot, we say.
Here is our list. We are publishing it because it is important when you set goals to write them down, which we had done, but this is more official. This was underscored recently in #2. It is harnessing the power of intentionality. We also want to feel accountable by having others know them too. We will continue to edit and highlight in GREEN what we accomplish. Since we are a month into our journey, we must get busy. We hope some of you will be inspired to make your own list . : ) Please check back on our progress!
- Find a way to pay forward our Blessings in hopes that we can encourage others to do so too.
- Attend a workshop for improvement as a couple
- Dress up for Halloween
- Volunteer with a non-profit that serves the Athens Homeless population
- Go to 3 UGA events on campus that do not involve sports
- Enjoy an Historical Atlanta day visiting sites we missed growing up there
- See Rock City
- Visit a National Park
- Learn about and then visit a Civil War site
- Reconnect with an old friend from our college days
- Spend a day with a couple further down the marriage road and ask them their advice for success.
- Adopt a family for Christmas
- Take Emmaline on an adventure, assuming her parents will let us!
- Leave a treasure someplace for someone else to find
- Create a new tradition for US – it involves Christmas : )
- Put our own love-lock somewhere
- Climb Stone Mountain
- Run a race for a cause
- Create a book of OUR Athens – photography w/stories
- Do a 30 day Fast
- Discover a sport we can do together
- Attend a live musical event: concert, musical theater, symphony etc.
- Do something wild and crazy to remind us of the youth we shared : )
- Take a Road Trip
- Go 3 places we’ve never been as a couple
- Show our support for the military/veterans in a significant way
- Make significant lifestyle changes that will result in greater financial margin
- Maintain our standing weekly date for Navigator’s Council
- Invite a couple that we don’t know very well to dinner every month
- Perform (at least) one random act of kindness per week
- 40 Pieces of Gratitude
- Go on a Scavenger Hunt
- Create a Road Map for our grandchildren
- Plant a Tree
- Choose time to Unplug each week
- Pray consistently for each other
- Take a trip down Memory Lane
- Create a #hashtag
- Renew our vows
- Create a book about our 40toward40 Adventures
** We had to make a few changes in our challenges due to a knee injury and subsequent unplanned surgery, but being flexible in marriage is what it is all about.